tisdag 6 november 2007

Beautiful Madness

I'm terribly sorry about the double-post, you guys, but if I could rant a little about how difficult it is to design cults and do horror, I think I should rave a little about how intoxicatingly addicting I find Changeling: The Lost to be.

Changelings are threatened by insanity, especially in the form of a fractured and slowly decaying personality. That this appeals to a favourite theme of mine (the destruction or altering of someones' identity) is only the first part of the equation.

Changeling manages to take the social/political approach to plotlines possessed by Vampire, and mingle it with the mysteries and close brushes with the supernatural of Mage. Add to this the element of fairy-tale magic, and there's a perfect recipe for a game system (and setting) that can be tweaked and altered according to the wishes of those who tell the story. There's no real problem to make a society of changelings bent on controlling mortals - they have good reason to, and can be just as abusive as vampires, meaning the social aspects can be highlighted. You can also twist the tale the other way, making the changelings relatively benevolent and unified against the mysteries of the World of Darkness.

So why do I post about this? Because it's a problem. It's too big for me to use. It's a giant-sized palette, and whichever way I do it, I feel as though I should use slightly more or slightly less of some hues. Too much of something good...

I think my inspiration is on fire.

1 kommentar:

Nallenon sa...

Well, "inspiration on fire" sounds good to me, I'll have my adventure medium-rare ;)