tisdag 1 juni 2010

Blog Challenge: Half-Life

So I couldn't sleep, and came to count various mathematical conclusions in my head. This is one of them.

I am now approximately 22 years and 46 days old (roughly). This means that, half my life ago, I was 11 years and 23 days. That was the 9th of May, 1999.

Half my life ago, I was in fifth grade and had just fallen in love with Linn J, a girl in my class. I had not yet awakened sexually, but I had discovered roleplaying games and programming in the form of the Klik n' Play game maker. I had also discovered the Beatles and hung out in Andreas' house listening over and over to Rubber Soul. I had done some acting in school plays - playing an old grandfather-guy and something involving a black top hat, as well as put up my very own mime show with some dude I barely knew.

Half my life ago, I had visited the United States but not (if memory serves) Norway, and the most important things in my life were second-hand stores for comic books and video games. I was fiercely loyal to Sega despite the losing battle against the N64 and my MegaDrive was my most prized possession. Half my life ago, I was just about to read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy for the first time, and I had just about beaten Sonic 3. Half my life ago, I outsmarted a teacher for the first time in my life, and realized that older people are not infallible.

Of the people I knew half my life ago, I now only keep contact with those I am related to. I barely know what has become of the others.

Now for the challenge: Who were you half your life ago? What was important to you? Who did you know? Use your blogs, people. I'm curious.

5 kommentarer:

D sa...

So I actually wrote one of these, but couldn't make myself post it publicly online. It felt imprudent somehow. Work has made me paranoid, perhaps. If anyone would still like to read it, I have it.

Very clever, creative idea, anyhow.

Riklurt sa...

Thanks. I'd love to read it, you can email it to me if you want.

Nallenon sa...

Sounds very interesting, David.

Arrgh sa...

Half your father's life ago he was about to get engaged to your mother. That was quite an important moment for you too, if I may say so..

Riklurt sa...

Indeed!