fredag 5 september 2008

Nick Carraway and I

So, in the spare hour of lunch I dug through my backpack looking for The Happy Prince, and instead found The Great Gatsby (I had accidentally packed that book instead - again). Reading the introduction to that book, I came to realise what it is I love so much about this piece of work.

This is, simply, that I can identify with both of the main characters - with Jay Gatsby, and above all, with Nick Carraway - because, much like Nick, I gravitate towards people far more splendid than myself. Nick is a man who finds that great men tend to trust him, in his own words, and he's got a strange fascination for Jay Gatsby, this larger-than-life fellow whose ambition and despair the book is about. Thinking this, I realised that I am much like Nick Carraway in that I associate with great people, for whom I hold great adoration.

I don't talk about Gatsby's kind of ambition, because I know nobody with that particular type of splendour. I am saying, though, that the people I associate with - that is to say, my friends - seem to me passionate people, with a dedication to living life to its fullest. They all do this in different ways, to be sure, but there's little negotiation - little holding back. Some of you seek to change the world, others, to change yourselves, still others, to be free of the worlds' expectations - but all of you are, in some ways, my superiour. I do not say this lightly.

There is a saying that "everyone I meet is in some way my superiour", which would make the above point moot. I don't think so, however; there are people more skilled than me in many areas, to be sure, but their skill is a tool, a means, a crude device. This is not superiourity - whether this skill is social, physical or mental, it's no more sophisticated than Tom Buchanan's polo playing (sorry for all the references, to people who have not read the novel, by the way). The splendour I see in my friends is their devotion to the idea in itself, to the concept that a higher purpose is hidden inside a skill. The difference between skill and superiourity, then, is analogous to the difference between brawling and martial arts; a man swinging wild punches can surely defeat a martial artist if he's lucky, but to him the fighting is only a means - never an art, never a purpose in itself, never a soul's treasure like the art is to the artist. Jay Gatsby is more than a wealthy socialite - he's a man with the American Dream burning at the very core of his soul.

What I mean to say - and I might be wrong, but what I feel - is that everyone I know and love possesses such a soul's treasure, a flame which makes them my superiour. Many, many people in this world could beat me up, but Love is truly my superiour in the martial fields. Many could talk faster and crack better jokes than me, but Eva has a burning passion for people. Many could draw better than me, or analyse comics better than me for that matter, but Björn has a flame of creativity which suffuses all his essence, and so on, and so forth. The list goes ever on; everyone I love possesses such a flame, and it would be pointless for me to recollect everyone's talents and ambitions - you know them yourselves, and each of you possesses more than one of them. It is as if you've seen a glimmer of some Platonic ideal, and seek to pursue it.

And, like I said at the beginning, I see some of Gatsby in myself as well. Though I waiver in what I want, I too can at times feel like I am superiour in what I do - not because I do it well, but because it is so important, so great, that it becomes larger than life. It is at times like these that I can truly believe in the green light across the bay. Nevermind what it means.

8 kommentarer:

Yeonni sa...

Isn't it that we're all the kind of people who would keep asking? If we encounter something we don't know we'll keep asking until we get a satisfactory answer, whatever that means. We don't really doubt out own ability to learn or understand things, only whether or not this thing is worth learning?

What I feel somehow is that the kind of people you talk about often are specialized in very specific fields, often several, but that they tend to have only one skill. What I mean is, they all "connect the dots", struggle to put everything together instead of seeing only bits and pieces. I think of it as though they only have one skill, one philosophy, but apply it to everything, instead of people learning a new skill for every little thing. They search to develop that one skill so that it works well when applied to everything, a "Tone of Perfect Pitch" so to speak (to make a reference no one will understand).

I could go on about this forever because I've thought about it a lot. I also believe this has something to do with... I think it's called "kibun"; pride, self-respect. And I could make several analogues to the world of superheroes.

Anyway. That I would be one of these people is something I want, believe, and am the most proud of in my life.

Yeonni sa...

... that got really long. Sorry. But... what can I say... I'm passionate. XD

Kat sa...

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Loverboy sa...

I think you have a point Iceye.. At least your comment hit true in some way. I see everything through a lens called martial arts.
Or.. I process everything new that I find through the knowledge I'v gained on the mat.

Rik sa...

Iceye, I think you may have been spot-on; it's a curiousity that manifests within a field, but exists ubiqutously (spelling sucks this time of night) throughout the entirety of the person. Curiousity might be a much more better term than passion, for that's how it feels to me at least; you just gotta know what's through the next dungeon door.

As for Kristin - is it me or Iceye you're not getting? I'd be happy to clarify.

Kat sa...

Both

Yeonni sa...

Hm, how shall I explain it so that you understand, then? Love said it well. A lens. We carry a lens of some sort, his is martial art, Rik's I imagine is the quest for knowledge, mine I can't quite describe... beauty, I think, like in the beauty of cogs of a machinery fitting perfectly together. Every new piece of knowledge we just fit into the puzzle, making everything into one picture, instead of other people dividing their lives into loads of pieces never bothering to put them together. Gah, we can talk about this in person sometime instead. Easier to explain.

Rik sa...

My point is similar to Iceyes', except I talk not directly of the lens but rather the passion that it's intertwined with; the, for lack of better thing, passion that makes me read trivia endlessly, the passion that fuels our actions because we've seen something we can almost, almost grasp, but not quite yet.