tisdag 11 maj 2010

Futuristic Linguistics

Rappers are pretty amazing. Modern-day rappers can perform linguistic stunts that would baffle the old bards and poets, I'm pretty sure; I've seen numerous examples of rap that contains real literary quality, and many of the best even improvise it entirely.

Question is, why does nobody in "higher literary circles" pay attention to this? I've seen rap lyrics that I'm pretty sure would make Shakespeare impressed (if he could understand them) because they have a nice rhythm, good rhyming, and are peppered with similies and metaphors. Take a look at this, for example:

"When I punch ya, I rupture all your ribcage in a rage,
and I turn you into a cartoon too and erase the page."

The above two lines have some pretty good rhythm, and we've got at least one pretty advanced metaphor ("turn you into a cartoon and erase the page") and one somewhat more crude one (assuming the rapper isn't literally threatening people with crushing their ribcages, which rappers aren't prone to do). This isn't bad poetry - it's pretty advanced poetry. Its message might only be "I am awesome", but poetry has never concerned itself much with message - what makes poetry poetry is that it has literary quality, and it can't be argued that rap does.

Here's another example from some guy called John Cena (he's probably famous, I never heard of him before):

"Cause I'm ill like a sick metaphor,
got the crowd shouting Cena cause they want some more
[...]
hold your hands up, hold 'em high,
that was a nice diss, but it was a wack-ass try."

Not perhaps remarkable mastery of language, but he made this up on the fly as one dude in the audience insulted him. And still, the guy manages to fire off "ill like a sick metaphor" which is a pretty advanced similie and something that, I'm quite sure, literature professors could spend a few hours poring over its hidden depths had it appeared in some musty old book on poetry.

Why aren't rappers given the credit and respect they deserve? They're doing massively impressive things with their language, sometimes in advance, sometimes on the fly as they stand there. What with the speed a rapper usually keeps up, this makes many of them way more advanced than many poets. Granted, the message might not be so deep, but should that really matter? If an artist only paints angry dogs, but does so amazingly well, is he any worse of an artist just because the motive isn't deep and inspired?

3 kommentarer:

D sa...

I couldn't agree more. I think more and more people are starting to notice the similarities between rap and poetry, including rappers/poets. There's convergence:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVwQbmUNdS4&feature=related

The above example certainly has a message; not that I endorse it. And even if a message is political, that's not below great literature: look at Animal Farm and all the other dystopic works. Not, as you that, that poetry really needs a message anyhow.

Yeonni sa...

It's always amazing when someone's really good at something, even if it is painting only angry dogs. I mean, I'm guessing there's a reason rappers make big money and all that. Wasn't a lot of Shakespear's stuff also considered crude at the time? Or have I misremembered my history again.

Yeonni sa...

Incidentally, Kung Henry, of the clip David just linked, lives in Uppsala and performs here from time to time, and can also be seen wandering the streets among us mortals.