onsdag 5 mars 2008

Live Forever

Gamers across the world are saluting him, and I won't be late to join them.

There was a man who reinvented storytelling. I'm not sure if you know how much his works meant to me, but I'm fairly certain that you can guess. What he did was not merely reinvent an ancient artform, however: He invented something new, something which has been my hobby, my art, my medium, and on occasion, my life.

E. Gary Gygax, inventor of Dungeons & Dragons, passed away the 4th of March this year. The invention of this game and the other games that soon followed is by no means something he did alone - it involved thousands of people refining, developing, and first and foremost, playing. Some of these gamers I have been fortunate enough to know - the vast majority, not. And of course, I have never even met Mr. Gygax myself. I still say, though, that without his invention, I would live a wholly different life, a poorer life. Monte Cook's words are the ones that best describe what he has meant for me and thousands among us:

"With his help, I have traveled to unknown lands. I have created unknown lands."

The first Dungeon Master is dead. May his legacy live forever.

6 kommentarer:

Nightflyer sa...

Salut

Yeonni sa...

*takes off her hat and holds it solemnly against her chest*

Eva sa...

/Second Iceye.

/Bow

Nallenon sa...

*Stabs sword into ground and kneels*

(Since we are now past the International Day of Womenfolk, I feel I can now go for a full-out, manly salutation)

D sa...

I'm delighted that all it may take to be a hero, is to tell people to throw some dice and pretend they're somewhere else. True genius lies in simplicity. Hat's off.

Nefandus sa...

Ditto